Summary: Nothing is more annoying than when you or someone else shares a page from your website on Facebook and either NO image comes up or it’s an image you definitely didn’t want to show up there (like a blown out version of your logo). In this super simple tutorial I will show you how to update the Facebook link preview for your website’s posts & pages – plus my secret trick to seeing exactly what it will look like before you share.
We know everyone learns differently – if you prefer video, please watch the video tutorial above! If you’re more of a step-by-step person, we’ve written out the steps below.
How to Update the Facebook Link Preview for Your Website’s Posts and Pages – Step by Step
Step 1: Set Your Featured Image
- Optimize your image so it doesn’t impact your site’s speed. Here’s a helpful tutorial on image optimization.
- In WordPress, add your featured image to the post or page you’re working on. Click on the Set Featured Image link in the bottom right sidebar.
- If you’re using the Yoast SEO plugin, you can add a Facebook image in the Social tab (in case you want an image that’s different than the previous featured image.
- Update your post or page.
Step 2: Use the Facebook Debugger Tool
- Head over to the Facebook Debugger Tool and paste in the URL of your post or page.
- Click debug.
- You may be prompted to click “Fetch New Information” to see your changes.
Why should you bother & update the Facebook Link Preview?
Here’s the thing, not doing this doesn’t prevent people from sharing your website – but this gives you more control over how YOUR brand appears on social media.
When you update this information, you have the opportunity to double up on attracting your ideal audience to your website by curating the image & making your links FAR more clickable.
I’d love to see how you use this tip – head over to our free community and show us how you’re making the most of updating these images!